Pages

mardi 23 février 2010

Should "my spiritual quest" turn into pro?

For those who didn't know, "my spiritual quest" is the name of that blog. Sounds epic? Make you think about a video game? Wrong. In french, quête has two different meanings: quest and scale model.

Let's go back to the main topic, should "my spiritual quest switch pro". To answer to that question, you could for example read that blog that gave me some elements of answers:

http://www.twistimage.com/blog/archives/personal-branding-is-not-an-option---its-crucial-to-success/

Many eMarketing experts, business teachers, recruiters advise us to manage our numerical identity so that our Facebook profile, Twitter account, Flickr album pictures among others remain professional.

For being the friend of someone who got fired from a trendy company because he made a joke online that partially revealed features of his company’s new product, I must say that I quite agree on that premise. We must pay attention on what we say on the internet not to suffer from bad consequences.

It means that like companies, we have to brand ourselves, to build a strong image. Does it mean that we have to lie or exaggerate regarding our skills? I would give the same answer that for an interview. Maybe we should focus on some good points that are true without trying to be someone else. And good recruiters generally realize when your interview is fake. Same thing on your profile. Are you sure you are that person who always like new challenges? The business adventurer that have a strong belief in hard work or this analytical person that want to climb on the social scale through the same company whatever the time required is to succeed?

Never has it been more important to care about our numerical identity as more and more people tend to check on the internet when hearing of someone, google someone has just become a reflex.

Then someone suddenly told me: so where the fun and privacy on the web has gone? Facebook was at first targeting friends at the university. It is now the new way to hire or just get information about someone. Even my former roommates used it to rank me when visiting their flat.

So what are we supposed to do?

Building a true and strong image that corresponds you doesn’t have to be difficult, it should be natural. Don’t forget that you will get more chances of finding someone that could help you if you have similar interests. Then you will probably have to do some efforts, such as the one I did posting news on my blog in English (French is my mother tongue).

To answer to the very first question, my spiritual quest won’t switch pro but it will take a natural sight turn. Same as what is leading our respective lives.

Feel free to let any comments whatever the language is, I’ll be glad to interact on this topic.

Aucun commentaire: